Alleged killer Robert Adams raped three women before Mary Wallace disappearance, court told

Robert John Adams leaves the NSW Supreme Court on Tuesday. Photo: Peter Rae Alleged killer Robert John Adams targeted his victims in a similar fashion and committed similar, violent acts upon them, a court has heard.
Nanjing Night Net

He would often meet them in bars or clubs on Sydney’s north shore and engage in conversation with them before enticing them to his car.

As soon as they were isolated, he would put his hands around their throats and squeeze hard before raping them.

“The accused had a tendency to strangle women,” Crown prosecutor Mark Hobart SC told the NSW Supreme Court on Tuesday.

Mr Hobart outlined about how three women had come forward and described the way they had been attacked by Mr Adams in the 1970s

He said this was tendency evidence that a judge should rely upon to find Mr Adams guilty of the murder of nurse Mary Wallace at Crows Nest in 1983.

“The tendency evidence strongly supports the Crown theory that on this night, September 23, 1983 … the accused killed the deceased.”

Ms Wallace, 33, was last seen leaving a Crows Nest wine bar with Mr Adams and getting into his car on the night she disappeared.

Mr Adams has told police he and Ms Wallace engaged in sexual activity in his Holden Commodore, but he later fell asleep. He said when he woke up she had vanished.

Police allege Mr Adams raped and most probably strangled Ms Wallace before disposing of her body – which has never been found.

Two hairs found in the boot of his car were later identified as belonging to Ms Wallace.

Mr Hobart also outlined how witnesses had seen Mr Adams cleaning out the boot of his car the day after Ms Wallace’s disappearance.

“When he washed out the boot of his car, the Crown says he was trying to erase all evidence that Mary Wallace had ever been in that boot,” he said.

During his closing address Mr Hobart reiterated the evidence of the three women who said they had been attacked by Mr Adams.

Mr Adams has been previously convicted of the rape of one woman he met at the Middle Harbour Yacht Club.

The woman told police how she was in Mr Adams’ car when he pulled over, put his hands around her throat and began to choke her.

He said to her: “I’ll f— you either dead or alive.” And later: “Either f— me now or I’ll f— you when I kill you.”

The court heard how Mr Adams raped the woman after threatening to “finish her off” and throw her in the river if she did not do what he wanted.

Mr Adams’ defence barrister Peter Lang is expected to give his closing address on Wednesday.

The trial continues before Justice Richard Button.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.